During the period of independence, efforts were made to build special buildings for medical institutions in Kaunas. One of these was dedicated to the University Clinic of Eye and Ear Diseases. Construction of the building for this institution began in 1929 on Vytauto Avenue. The building was designed by Vytautas Landsbergis-Zemkalnis, a famous Lithuanian architect of that time. It is a two-story building with an attic and has an elongated, irregular plan. The exterior of the building is simple and ascetic. Its exterior combines features characteristic of modern and historical architecture. The minimalist, decor-free exterior of the building is divided by the rhythm of vertical rectangular windows. The horizontality of the building is emphasized by the narrow decorative strips surrounding the exterior. The symmetrical composition of the facade, typical of historical architecture, is complemented by side rizalites and two entrances in the center.
Inside there were administrative rooms, an auditorium, a library, a polyclinic, 80-bed wards, treatment, and operation rooms. The construction of the building was completed in 1930 and cost about 1 million litas. In 1939, the building was taken over by the Military Hospital. Now an authentic looking building is used by Lithuanian Armed Forces Dr. Jonas Basanavicius Military Medical Service. It was one of the earliest public buildings of the 1930s Kaunas, whose architecture was influenced by modernism.