The Reichsknappschaftshaus (House of the Reichsknappschaft) is an office building which was originally conceived as an administrative building for the social security and health insurance institution of German miners. It was built built between in 1929 and 1930 by Max Taut and Frank Hoffmann in the style of New Objectivity.
The building is a three-storey steel frame structure. Its facade is covered with rust colored ceramic plates interlaced with iron clinkers. At the intersection of the two wing-like leaves of the main entrance is in an elevated tract. Max Taut designed the house in away to make its construction apparent. The bands of the steel beams are made visible through the use of the ceramic plates.
At the time of its construction, the design of the house was heavily criticised, now the building is a historic monument. It was recently renovated and now houses the Latin American Institute of the Freie Universität Berlin.