The building of the Jewish gymnasium, which was designed in 1930, in the history of Lithuanian architecture can be associated with the beginning of the era of modernism. Although it did not stand out with particularly innovative aesthetics - the symmetrical, smooth facades are somewhat varied only by horizontal stripes and a rather wide cornice. The modernity and functionality of the building is also given by the undecorated exterior, wide windows which rhythmically divide the facade, and which were supposed to provide enough natural light for the classrooms. In the context of that time, it was a really modern looking object and it can be considered a typical example, testifying to the modernizing, but far from avant-garde, architecture of Kaunas. The building also impresses with its size and monumental three-story volume - it is one of the largest educational institutions built in the temporary capital. A dozen classrooms, a small kindergarten, a hall, special classrooms for drawing and physics showers, and washrooms were installed inside the building. These were modern facilities for that time, which not all school buildings in the city had at that time. The building, which cost about 800 thousand litas, was opened in 1931 after the Government granted a loan and with the support of private donors. Now a music gymnasium operates in the building.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.