LoginJoin us
Forgot Password
Add to Collection

House of Architect Vytautas Landsbergis

Kaunas, Lithuania
1 of 2
Z. Rinkselio nuotrauka, 2019 m.

In 1933, Vytautas Landsbergis, one of the most famous Lithuanian architects of the 20th century, and his wife Ona Jablonskyte-Landsbergiene moved into the house, which was built in a very short period of time (three months). However, the urban cottage, made up of volumes of different sizes, was designed not only for living but also for working. On the street side of the ground floor, Landsbergis set up his studio, and on the courtyard side, his wife's eye doctor's office. The rest of the house was also used for architectural purposes, with a drafting room next to his wife's office, and the basement housing an archive, a layout workshop and a stationery room for the preparation of construction documents. The second floor was used for living, with three bedrooms and living rooms.

The building designed by Landsbergis was nationalised during the Soviet era (1947). After unsuccessful attempts to recover the building, it was given to the Kaunas branch of the Artists' Union. Another important period of the building was 1989-1992, when the house was the headquarters of the Sąjūdis. In 1991, the property was returned to the architect. In 1992-1993, with the knowledge of the architect V. Landsbergis, the first renovation of the house was carried out. The non-functional northern terrace of the house was replaced by a second floor and additional rooms were added. The second stage of the building's change was the renovation of the house in 2004-2005, after which nothing authentic remained on the outside of the house. The plaster on the façade was replaced, the wooden porch was replaced by a metal one with tinted glass, and a glass terrace was built on the balcony of the second floor. The house has been partitioned off from the street by a kitsch "baroque" fence that has nothing to do with the architecture of the building.

Go to article
Go to article