In 1922 a priest Pranas Bucys shared his idea to build a church in Kaunas as a monument for the resurrection and the independence of the Lithuanian nation. An initial project for the church was designed by architect Karolis Reisonas. However, the process, which required many discussions and political debates about the appearance and location, took a long time before the project began to turn into reality. It was believed that the new church would become a monument of XX-century architecture of its contemporary style, advanced construction, and superior quality materials. The church's size and location were huge contributors which made the project very anticipated.
The structure of the church is rectangular and monumental. The design had a flat roof, which functioned as an open terrace. Mainly used concrete frames and brick walls for the construction, but some Luxurious materials like local granite and oak were also implemented. The interior of the church has a balcony for the organ and choir, entrances on all sides, and two square towers. The big church tower is at hoover 70 meters. The church was designed to accommodate about 5,000 worshipers and allowed 2,000 people on the roof terrace.
In the spring of 1940 main construction works were completed, unfortunately, due to Soviet occupation, the church was not opened for religious practises. During that time, the church was turned into a paper warehouse, and later into a radio factory. The inside of the church was reconstructed, adapting it to the factory's needs - all religious attributes were removed, and industrial windows were installed.
In 1990, when Lithuania regained its independence, the Supreme Council obligated the "Banga" factory to return the building to the church. After this followed a slow reconstruction of the church. However, in 2000 the condition of the building was finally close to the original. Since then, the building has become the dominant landmark within the cityscape.