Undoubtedly, the most prominent trace of the city's prosperity in the interwar period was left by its long-time burgomaster Jonas Vileisis. When the capital moved to Kaunas, it was decided to create the office of Mayor in 1921, and Jonas Vileisis, a signatory of the Lithuanian Independence Act, a lawyer, and a public and political figure, became the first representative of the office and led the city for exactly ten years. The house, which is on V.Putvinskio 68, was designed for him by architect A. Gordevicius in 1930. When the structure was first built, the owner used part of it as living quarters, and the rest was rented out. However, between 1934 and 1938, the building housed the Embassy of the United States of America, which gives the property exceptional importance for the country's diplomatic history. In this period, Jonas Vileisis moved to the house built on the interior of the plot.
The facade of the building is divided horizontally with rhythmically arranged bands of windows, reflecting the streamlined aesthetics. The symmetry is broken by a rounded corner which links the main plane of the facade to the recessed part. The two parts of the facade are compositionally linked by balconies which emphasise the motif of the curved corner of the facade.