The Botanical Garden was established as a scientific institution by the decree of the President of Lithuania A. Stulginskis in 1923. It was founded by Konstantinas Regelis, a scientist of Swiss origin, who was invited to work in Lithuania. Konstantinas Regelis wanted to accumulate an exemplary collection of plants and such facilities were required. The most prideful structure of the botanical garden is the conservatory. It was designed by architects invited from Dresden, Germany, so it is similar and resembles a little bit of the Dresden Picture Gallery.
The Botanical Garden still delights visitors with its plant collections, often hosting various cultural and educational events.