Forgot Password?
Register
Register
Forgot Password
Add to Collection

Hotel Žiča

Mataruška Banja, Serbia
1 of 6

Hotel Žiča was built after the design by architect Milan Zloković between 1931 and in 1932. Hotel is situated in a park and was built within the existing spa pavilions which were constructed with eclectic art nouveau facade detail and distinctive roofs. Modern hotel architecture with its purity and whiteness had in this context sensational look. With a flat roof, cubic form and a large restaurant on the ground floor gave the impression of Mediterranean hotels and ships that adorned the port and the Mediterranean coast. The object has a large restaurant with technical service in a covered double floor height porch on the ground floor and accommodation section with thirty rooms, fifteen on each side of communication. Inventiveness is seen on the functional interior design of the rooms and sanitary facilities which looks like the ship's cabin. The rhythm of window openings precisely proportioned, elegant, simple and functional - clearly emphasizes the facade structure. Modernism is manifested with the flat roof (deck) which was used for multipurpose space (outdoor movies, natural solarium and outdoors restaurant. Here the principle of Le Corbusier five points of architecture is affirmed in the full sense. The communication to the roof terrace are structured below the projection booths in the spirit of the Mediterranean stone serpentine, which Zloković identified in traditional architecture of the Boka in the Adriatic Sea.

Here we can clearly find the paradigm of tradition and modernism that Zloković composed in its geometric and functional expression. He solves the static system against the effects of wind with metal fence installed along the roof terrace. The fence has a frame projection screen like a big sail. This building is defined as the first public work of the architect done in the postulate of modernism. The authenticity of the hotel was degraded with capacity expansion and build on during the 1960. The object then lost the original volume and a rooftop terrace.