Richard Paulick (born November 7, 1903 in Roßlau (Elbe) - March 4, 1979 in East Berlin ) was a German architect. After graduating from high school in Dessau, Richard moved to study architecture at the Technische Hochschule in Dresden in 1923. During the semester break, the committed student extended his acquired theoretical knowledge with a bricklayer apprenticeship in Dessau and Coswig. From 1925 Paulick was employed as a "city scavenger and landscape guide" in Dessau. In this role, he made his first personal, later intensified contacts with the Bauhäusler who had just arrived in the city. During a six-month employment as a freelancer in the construction office of Walter Gropius, Paulick developed a particularly close relationship with Georg Muche and Marcel Breuer. Together with them he looked for solutions in questions of housing and urban development, in this context also the metal-type house (1926-1927).
Parallel to his activities at the Bauhaus, Paulick continued his studies of architecture with Hans Poelzig at the Technical University in Berlin-Charlottenburg from August 1925 until June 1927. Immediately after graduation, he was reinstated in Gropius' private studio, which included him in the work of the Dessau employment office and the second construction phase of the Dessau-Törten housing estate. After Gropius Dessau and the Bauhaus had left in the spring of 1928, Paulick acted as his office manager on site and completed the ongoing projects. In June 1929, the young architect Gropius followed to Berlin, where he worked for him until the opening of his own office in the summer of 1930.
After the seizure of power by the National Socialists Paulick emigrated to China, where he stayed until 1949. In exile he worked from 1933 to 1937 for the company "The Modern Home" in Shanghai. In 1937 Paulick and his brother founded the company Modern Homes based in Shanghai. Paulick led the city planning department of the metropolis in 1945 and from 1946 held the position of supreme construction consultant of the All-Chinese Railway.
Return to Germany
After his return to Germany in 1950 Paulick quickly made a career in the Institute of Civil Engineering at the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin or as a member of the German Academy of Construction in Berlin, whose vice president he was from 1955 to 1965. Among his outstanding projects include Section C of Stalinallee (1952-1953) and the drafts for the reconstruction of the German State Opera (1951-1955). Above all, Paul's work as chief architect of the "socialist cities" Hoyerswerda (1958-1960), Schwedt on the Oder (1962-1965) and Halle-Neustadt (1963-1968) had a lasting effect.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.