The media presentation of a product always played an eminently important role at the Bauhaus, second only to the product itself. It was therefore all the more surprising when in 2008, the state office for the preservation of historical monuments in Saxony-Anhalt identified the Hahn House at Kiefernweg 14, less than 500 meters from the Bauhaus as the crow flies, as the work of Richard Paulick. At the time, there were already suspicions that the neighbouring Neurath House at Kiefernweg 13 could also be ascribed to the same architect, because the houses have a similar layout and the same design vocabulary. In the meantime, following research in the architectural archives at the Technical University of Munich it has been possible to confirm without doubt that the Neurath House is also an early work of Paulick's. Paulick was closely associated with the Bauhaus and its objectives, not least through his work in Gropius's private architectural practice. Both houses were built in 1928 and are distinguished by a cubic construction with flat roof as well as a virtually square floor plan. They differ only in the orientation of their bowfronts: on the Hahn House, it faces the road and on the Naurath House, it faces the garden. Of the two, the Hahn house has been modified the least. Outside, only the tubular steel balustrades on the balcony and the wooden fence have been replaced. Inside, the basic character and the original doors with Bauhaus handles have been preserved.
Houses Naurath and Hahn
1 of 1
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.