Details

Keywords Change this

School Buildings, Interwar Period

Project timeline

April 1933 – November 1933

Type

Education & Research

Location Change this

ul. Kraljice Natalije 31
11000 Belgrade
Serbia

Current state

Original

Architect Change this

__

Article last edited by Sonja Dragovic on
April 01st, 2019

The Second Girls High School Change this

Belgrade, Serbia
by Milica Krstić Change this

The Second Girls High School after completion

1 of 5

Description Change this

The Second Girls High School (today Electro-technical High School Nikola Tesla) in Belgrade was constructed in 1933, in place of the Girls College and the building of the State Council, in Queen Natalia Street. Milica Krstić has attended this high school herself. The construction took only 8 months, from April to November 1933.

The building has a total surface area of approximately 3,000 sq. m, with basement, ground floor and three levels with around 250 classrooms. The basement housed apartments for help, storage and technical spaces. On the ground floor, besides offices and cabinets, there was a gymnasium with a changing room equipped with showers, a cafe, the school infirmary and other auxiliary programs. The classrooms are located on the upper floors, and each has an adjoining wardrobe.

One wing of this monumental edifice also housed a small chapel, in memory of the St. Natalia’s church that once stood in this place. The chapel is located on the second floor, next to the auditorium with galleries. The iconostasis for the chapel was painted by Vasa Pomorišac, and the large fresco which was above the iconostasis was the work of Milo Milunović.

The facade is characterized by a simple and modernized Serbian-Byzantine style. The damages which occurred to it during the war from bullets and shrapnel shells are still visible. The school also has a spacious yard, located in the center of the urban block. Over 5,000 sq. m of open space was intended for the play of students, with two large terraces with stucco balustrades overlooking the yard.

The school’s interior is spacious and light, and the large and well equipped classrooms and cabinets, drawing hall, gymnasium and auditorium, all made this building the most contemporary and the most representative school building in Belgrade at the time. For its architectural, cultural and historic value, the building of the Electro-technical High School Nikola Tesla has been declared a cultural heritage in 1964.

Comments

Register to join to conversation.