This abandoned building is situated in natural park De Hoge Veluwe in the village Radio Kootwijk. It was built in 1918 as a radio station for the main communication connection between the Netherlands and Indonesia in the first half of the 20th century. In this period there was a need of trading with Indonesia which at that time was a Dutch colony and contributed to the Dutch prominence in global spice trade. The Dutch government built their own radio station to communicate with Indonesia: Radio Kootwijk. The area around the building is flat while was needed to create a ring of five 212 meter high communication poles, all connected with wires. Radio Kootwijk was one of the first concrete buildings in the Netherlands. With all its transmitters and as a consequence the danger of fire, Radio Kootwijk just could not be built in wood.
Radio Kootwijk, Netherlands
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.
bostjan, May 20th, 2016