The Market House dominates the centre of Ledbury. This brick and timber structure was built in 1653 by the celebrated "King's Carpenter", John Abel. Its original use was as a grain store, and it it now used as a council meeting room.
The 17th century Market House, raised on timber massive columns. This placid scene on the High Street was not always so peaceful. It was in this very spot in 1645 that a battle took place between Parliamentary troops and Cavaliers supporting the king, with the Royalists eventually prevailing.