The architect A. Greenberg built the first two Houses of Soviets (Dom Sovetov) in the Soviet Union; the House of Soviet in Bryansk from 1924-1926 as well as the Dom Sovetov in Nizhny Novgorod from 1929-1931.The Dom Sovetov in Nizhny Novgorod was received as one of the best examples of Constructivism and Soviet architecture in the country and was often-quoted by many architects of his time.
The Dom Sovetov is located in the north-eastern part of the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin, is now the Government House and administration building and has a conference hall with 800 seats.
For the constructions of the Dom Sovetov in 1929, walls of the Kremlin and the Cathedral were demolished.The area in front of the Dom Sovetov has a circular shape and was used for parades and demonstrations. For the same purpose, the entrance has a balcony and tribune. The building is not symmetrical, as the semi-cylindrical volume with the main entrance is not located in the center of the main facade. An important element of the building are the windows with different dimensions and proportions. Inside, the central staircase is located at the intersection of two perpendicular corridors which allows an open view from the main staircase into the corridors.
Today, the building facades has almost completely retained its historic appearance but the historical interior decoration is not anymore preserved.The House of the Soviets is an object of cultural heritage of federal importance.