This factory is one of the earliest examples of Modernist architecture in St. Petersburg and had a a heavy influence on architecture in Soviet Russia. It was constructed between 1925 and 1927 by the German architect Erich Mendelsohn. after ongoing controversy and discussions with his Leningrad colleagues, Mendelsohn who was commissioned to design the entire factory, finally only claimed authorship for the power station. There is currently a project to revitalize the dilapidated empty complex. Concepts were put forward by the architects Rudiger Kramm and David Chipperfield.
Red Banner Factory - Power Station
St. Petersburg, Russia
1 of 18
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.
archibald, September 2nd, 2014