The City Hall in Hilversum was first outlined by its architect by Willem Dudok in 1924. When he became the City architect in 1928 he immediately began with the construction of the building. It is regarde as the masterpiece of Dudok's architecture.
Set in relatively extensive grounds and rendered entirely in brick, the free-standing mass and landscaped surrounds of this structure immediately announce the garden-city character of Hilversum. Despite the asymmetric composition, the main representative elements were both traditional and monumental; the high clock tower over the entry and the three symmetrical windows signifying the council chamber.