Frigyes Schulek (19 November 1841, Pest - 5 September 1919, Balatonlelle) was a Hungarian architect, a professor at Jozsef Technical University and a member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. He was born in Pest and began school in Buda. The Schulek family accompanied Kossuth's government on its flight to Debrecen during the Hungarian Revolution of 1848, then returned to the capital. After the suppression of the struggle for independence, Agost Schulek was declared persona non grata, and the family returned to Debrecen.
Graduating in 1857, Frigyes Schulek enrolled in the Buda Polytechnic (Jozsef Technical University), from which he received his diploma in 1861. Thereafter he attended the Academy of Fine Arts (Akademie der bildenden Kunste) in Vienna. He became a member of the "Wiener Bauhutte" where he studied under Friedrich von Schmidt, who profoundly influenced his later interest in Middle Ages architecture. In 1866 he briefly worked on the restoration of the Regensburg Cathedral, subsequently visiting France and Italy.
From 1871 he taught architectural drawing at the Budapest Art School, where, as a colleague of Imre Steindl, he helped design Pest's City Hall. In 1872 he was appointed architect of the newly founded Provisional Monuments Commission, later known as the National Monuments Commission, the first such independent Hungarian organization. Here he coordinated the reconstruction and restoration of medieval castles and churches. In 1903, following Imre Steindl's death, Schulek was appointed professor of medieval architecture at the Technical University of Budapest, a post he held until 1913. He became a corresponding member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1895 and was made an honorary member in 1917.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.