Aurelio Galfetti is regarded as a one of the main exponents of Ticino architecture of the 20th century. He studied architecture at ETH Zurich from 1954 to 1960 and in the same year opened his office in Lugano. He collaborated with Flora Ruchat and Ivo Trumpy from 1964 to 1970 and later from 1970 to 1978 with Livio Vacchini, Luigi Snozzi, Rino Tami and Mario Botta. In 1984 he was visiting professor at the EPF Lausanne and 1987 at the UP8 in Paris. With Mario Botta he founded Accademia di Architecttura in Mendrisio in 1996. From 1996 to 2001 was a director of the institution.
His major works include the single family dwelling Rotalinti (Bellinzona, 1960-61), the open-air swimming pool in Bellinzona (1967-70), the central post office in Bellinzona (1977-85); the restoration of Burg Castelgrande (Bellinzona, 1981-91) and the office and commercial building Ulysses (Lausanne, 1991-94).
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.