Keywords Change this
Congress & Exhibition
Location Change this
TN40 East Sussex Bexhill-On-Sea
Architect Change this
Article last edited by archibald on
August 16th, 2011
De La Warr Pavilion Change this
Description Change this
Commissioned by the 9th Earl De La Warr in 1935 and designed by architects Erich Mendelsohn and Serge Chermayeff, the De La Warr Pavilion was the UK‘s first public building built in the Modernist style. Pioneering in structure as it was in spirit, the purpose of this steel and concrete Pavilion was to provide accessible culture and leisure for the people of Bexhill and beyond and so regenerate the economy of the town and the surrounding area.
Seventy years later, an £8 million restoration and redevelopment project has enabled the De La Warr Pavilion to fulfil its original ambitions whilst creating new aspirations for the building and its visitors.