This factory was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe around 1931 for the silk weaving company VerSeid AG. The VerSeid AG (short for Vereinigte Seidenfabriken AG which roughly mean united silk weaving companies plc) were established in the 1920s through a merger of several factories in the region by the industrialists Josef Esters and Hermann Lange. Mies had already built two adjacent villas, Haus Lange and Esters, for the entrepreneur when he received the commission for the factory. The so called HE building and the dyeing mill were built were erected under the Mies's supervision. Further extensions were very likely planned and executed by the company's technical department.
The premises of the VerSeid AG factory are are now called the Ludwig Mies van der Rohe Business Park.