The Mommsen Stadium was built in 1930 by the Hungarian Bauhaus architect Fred Forbat. The complex is a historic monument today and in many ways an exception. The only sports facility built during the Bauhaus years, it is not a Bauhaus building in the strict sense (Fred Forbat left the Bauhaus in 1922 although he still worked with Walter Gropius on the Siemenstadt project roughly at the time the stadium was built), but the simple, functional but elegant forms make it good example of the Bauhaus style. Unlike its much larger neigbour the Olymipiastadion (built for a different purpose) it is void of any symbolism. The 104m long street-facing facade of the three-storey grand stand is structured by two elliptic protruding stair cases. Iron-clad glass structures at the entrances let the observer glance at the stairs.
The stadium was built when the stadium's owner, the SCC (Sport Club Charlottenburg) had to leave its former premises which were claimed by the Berlin Trade Fair. It originally had 1,750 seats and 36,000 standings. In 1934, the club handed the stadium over to the city of Berlin because it proved too expensive to maintain and the city decided to locate a school, the Mommsengymnasium, under the grandstand. After the war, the stadion was given back to the SCC. It also became the home of the Tennis Borussia Berlin football club who use the stadium until the present day. The stadium was used several times for large sports events like football tournament of the Olympic Games 1936 and several international track and field meetings At the Football Worldcup 2006 it was used by the German national team as a training ground.