The Governor's Palace is the city hall of Asmara. It was built during the colonial period in the city centre, in an Italian art-deco style. It was built in 1897 by Ferdinando Martini, the first Italian governor of Eritrea (now it is the Asmara President's Office). The Gibi, as it is known, was converted into a Museum of Asmara during the Ethiopian administration, when the Governor's Palace was switched to the present building. The current city hall was built during the 1930s in typical Fascist style (called Littorio), with a central tower at the entrance adorned with "Fasci". The city hall appeared on Asmara's last revenue stamps which were issued in 1960.
1 of 1
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.
bostjan, July 21st, 2017