Luciano Baldessari was an Italian architect and set designer. After studying at the Scuola Reale Elisabettiana, a school of applied arts Rovereto, he joined the Futurist movement. After serving in World War II, he enrolled in the Superior Escuale of Arquitectua Milan Polytechnic, where he graduated in architecture in 1922. After completing his studies went to Berlin where he was working as stage designer between 1922-26. On his return to Italy in 1926 he established his own studio. His first major commission was the remodeling of the Bar Craja (1930; with Figini and Pollini) in Milan. The most important work of Baldessari architecture of this period was the flag of the press in the 5th Triennial of Milan carried out during 1933. With the outbreak of World War II he moved to New York from 1939 to 1948. Back in Italy he resumed his work as an architect and project the Breda pavilion for the International Exhibition of Milan of 1951 stimulating and anticipating the renewal of Italian architecture. In 1951 he was called to be part of the executive council of the IX Triennial of Milan. In 1954 he was invited to participate in rebuilding the Hansaviertel district of Berlin.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.