Dragisa Brasovan (1887, Vrsac - 1965, Belgrade). Followed studies in Budapest (1907-12) by work at the Tory & Pogany bureau. After the First World War, worked at the Arhitekt bureau in Belgrade (1922-29), and then with A. Papkov and on his own. After the Second World War, worked in the Ministry of Railways and Design Institute of Serbia. Member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU) and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). His exceptional feeling for the spirit of the times influenced his comprehensive and diverse work, in a range spanning from academies to the ideas of modern architecture, which he embraced in the 1930s after Joe joined GAMP. His works, especially monumental public buildings, are among the most important in recent Serbia architecture.
Principal works: the Eskont Benk, NusicevaStreet No. 4(1922); the Jugoslav Pavilion on Barselona Exebation (1929); the Apartment building of the Beocin Cement Factory, Brace Jugovica St. (1934); Building of the Chamber of Commerce,Studentski trg No.13 (1932-34); the Palace of the Air-force in Zemun (1935); the Old Palace (1948, re-constraction); the "Metropol"Hotel (1954). Selected Bibl.: N. Dobrovic, Brasovan,IT novine No. 697-732, Belgrade 1976-77; B. Stojanovic, Arhitekta Dragisa Brasovan, Urbanizam Beograda, No. 51, Belgrade 1979, 17-31; A. Kadijevic, Delo arhitekte Dragise Brasovana (1885-1965), GGB, XXXVII, Belgrade 1990, 141-172.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.