Keywords Change this
1920 – 1922
Location Change this
Also known as Change this
Architect Change this
Article last edited by maria on
March 28th, 2015
Shukhov Radio Tower Change this
Description Change this
The Shukhov radio tower also known as the Shabolovka tower, is a broadcasting tower in Moscow designed by Vladimir Shukhov.
The 160-metre-high free-standing steel structure was built in the period 1920–1922, during the Russian Civil War. It is a hyperboloid structure (hyperbolic steel gridshell). Due to its lattice structure, the steel shell of the Shukhov Tower experiences minimum wind load (the main hazard for high-rising buildings). The tower sections are single-cavity hyperboloids of rotation made of straight beams, the ends of which rest against circular foundations.
The tower got famous, in particular by a photo story. The images from Alexander Rodchenko appeared in the Russian magazine "Radioslushatel (radio listener) in 1929. The tower is located a few kilometers south of the Moscow Kremlin, but is not accessible to tourists.
Currently under threat of demolition, the tower is at the top of UNESCO's 'Endangered Buildings' list, and there is an international campaign to save it.