Villa Vesna on the island Lopud (Croatia) was built according to project of architect Nikola Dobrovic from 1938. Through the design of series of villas in the Dubrovnik region in the late 1930s, Dobrovic progressively introduced ideas of modern architecture to the Dalmatian coast. The first villa to be completed was the villa in Srebrno, commissioned by the Czech dentist Vaclav Naprstek, designed in June 1937 and built by the end of the year. Using the potential of the site topography, Dobrovic organized the space on three levels: the lower ground floor provided space for the household, including a cellar with technical devices and a utilities room; on the upper ground floor there were two bedrooms, a bathroom, the main entrance and the garage; the third level was planned as a large roof terrace with a panoramic view. All the floors were connected by multiplied stairways: even three single-flight stairs were constructed between the first and the second level, and two more led to the roof terrace. Shortly afterwards, in August 1937, two more villas were designed and later built according to Dobrovic's plans. In 1938, Cecilija and Petar Pallaviccini built the villa Rusalka in the Dubrovnik settlement of Boninovo, and in 1939, Ivo Baric built the villa Vesna on the island of Lopud. Both villas repeat the paradigmatic scheme of the villa Naprstek and bring a certain changes in the abstract order of the model. The same scheme was integrated in an unrealized project for Danica Mladinov from October 1937, and brought to its utmost expression in the villa Adonis, commissioned by the banker, Krunoslav Stulli, in January 1939 and realized just before the Second World War commenced in this region.
Parallel to this typological chain of emphatically modern buildings, constructed in concrete and covered with white painted stucco, Dobrovic developed another type of the Mediterranean villa, distinguishable by the specific technique of uniform wall cladding in rough stone, with regular blocks and continual joints in between. This concept was launched through the extension of villa Wolff (1939) and further developed in an unrealized project of villa Mitrovic (1939) and the last house from this period, villa Svid (1940-1941), built by Artur Saracca in Zaton near Dubrovnik.