Located on the main road following the coast between Copenhagen and Bellevue, this petrol station dates from 1937 and was designed by Arne Jacobsen. The petrol station itself is a concrete box, clad with Meissen ceramic tiles. The service area is what makes this structure stand out: it is covered by an oval concrete shell, supported by a single column.
This design was originally intended as a prototype for Texaco. To save the structure from falling apart, it has been subject to extensive restoration, most notably in 2003 by Dissing + Weitling Architects in cooperation with the Gentofte Municipality. The original ceramic tiles and the concrete canopy have been replaced, after meticulous research and cooperation between the heritage and municipal authorities.