The Rose Center for Earth and Space is a part of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. The Center's complete name is The Frederick Phineas and Sandra Priest Rose Center for Earth and Space. The main entrance is located on the northern side of the museum on 81st Street near Central Park West.
The Rose Center was designed by James Stewart Polshek and Todd H. Schliemann, Polshek Partnership Architects, and the exhibition design is by Ralph Appelbaum Associates.
History and Construction
The center is an extensive reworking of the former Hayden Planetarium, whose first projector, dedicated in 1935, had 2 successors previous to the current one. The original Hayden Planetarium was founded in 1933 with a donation by philanthropist Charles Hayden. Opened in 1935, it was demolished and replaced in 2000 by the $210 million Frederick Phineas and Sandra Priest Rose Center for Earth and Space.
The Rose Center for Earth and Space, housed in a glass cube containing the spherical Space Theater, was designed by James Stewart Polshek. Designed by James Stewart Polshek and Todd Schliemann, the new building consists of a six-story high glass cube enclosing a 27 m illuminated sphere that appears to float - although it is actually supported by truss work.
James Polshek has referred to this work as a "cosmic cathedral". The Rose center and its adjacent plaza, both located on the north facade of the Museum, are regarded as some of Manhattan's most outstanding recent architectural additions. The facility encloses 30,980 m2 of research, education, and exhibition space as well as the Hayden planetarium.
Also located in the facility is the Department of Astrophysics, the newest academic research department in the Museum. Further, Polshek designed the 170 m2 Weston Pavilion, a 13 m high transparent structure of "water white" glass along the Museum's west facade. This structure, a small companion piece to the Rose Center, offers a new entry way to the Museum as well as opening further exhibition space for astronomically related objects. The planetarium's former magazine, The Sky, merged with "The Telescope", to become the leading astronomy magazine Sky & Telescope.
The new building opened to the public on February 19, 2000, featuring a seven-story-tall glass cube that encloses the 27 m Hayden Sphere.