Forgot Password?
Register
Register
Forgot Password
Add to Collection

Festivalhaus Hellerau

Dresden, Germany
1 of 1Adam Olszanski

The festival house in a suburb of Dresden in Germany was designed by Heinrich Tessenow and erected from 1910 to 1912. In its heyday until WWI, the Hellerau the festival at Hellerau attracted artists from all over Europe. Guests included personalities like Henry van de Velde, Emil Nolde, Oskar Kokoschka, Rainer Maria Rilke, Stefan Zweig and Franz Kafka. The house was built for the "Bildungsanstalt für Musik und Rhythmus" (Educational Insitute for Music and Rythmn) which he led togehther with Wolf Dorn. The institute was created by the Swiss composer and music teacher Jaques-Dalcroze who also used it as a venue for his festival. Later the hall served various purposes: a polce school in Nazi Germany, a military hospital, a sports facility, ...

The renovation of the building began in the 1990s. It was reopened as an arts venue in 2006 and has since accommodated dance, musical performances, theatre and exhibitions.