Wilhelm Buning (April 4, 1881 - August 2, 1958) was a German architect, architecture theoretician and teacher. He studied architecture at the Technical College in Dresden, Munich and Berlin and graduated in 1906. In Dresden, supported by Professors Cornelius Gurlitt, Fritz Schumacher and Hugo Hartung he found his interest in the development of architectural forms.
Thereafter he worked as an assistant at the College of Dresden. He attended drawing and painting lessons by William George Knight. There he met his future wife, the porcelain painter Marie Piltz, daughter of the painter Otto Piltz. In 1909 he settled in Berlin as an architect.
In 1914 he became assistant to the educational institution of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Berlin, 1925 professor at the United State School of Fine and Applied Arts in Berlin. In addition, he served (between 1921 and 1945) a position as lecturer at the Technical University Berlin.
Already in June 1945, he began with Max Taut the reconstruction of the architecture department at the Institute of Fine Arts (University of Fine Arts) led by Karl Hofer. The study of architecture has been restructured and Buning did all of his best to ensure, that talented students could study without high-school graduation there. Until his retirement in 1952 he taught architectural design, construction and hygiene in construction.
1928 published the first edition of his works written for students entitled as Bauanatomie. After the devastation of war this work was adapted to the changing conditions the "New Bauanatomie" a new edition was issued.
His main research interest was the alteration of daylight on buildings, this theme was led under his direction in 1957 entitled as "Guidelines for Daylighting".
His architecture was a combination of materials, craftsmanship and aesthetics with the result of a decent building.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.