Rudolf Schwarz was a German architect known for his work on Kirche St. Fronleichnam, Aachen. He also played a decisive role in the reconstruction of Cologne after the Second World War. After conducting Cologne's reconstruction authority between 1947 and 1952 he contributed to the rebuilding of the city with his buildings. Among them is the Wallraf-Richartz Museum (1956), which now houses the Museum of Applied Art. He also reconstructed the pilgrimage church of Saint Anne in Duren, near Aachen, which is probably his most famous work.
Schwarz worked with the German blacksmith Carl Wyland and closely with the Fr. Romano Guardini at Burg Rothenfels, where he designed the chapel for Quickborn, a large German Catholic youth movement run by Guardini. His wife, Maria Schwarz, worked together with him and is still in business as an architect, especially in reconstructing and modifying her husband's buildings.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.