Henri Gaudin is a French architect (born September 25th, 1933 in Paris) who abandoned a career in the navy to enter the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. After his graduation he worked in the office of Harrison and Abramovitz in the USA.
He gained international acclaim for a project in Maurepas (1975 - 1981), a new town development in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines. There, he translated his love for the compactness of the medieval city into the design of a genuine 'street'. His complex but homogeneous vocabulary of sensuous curves, yielding unexpected contrasts of light and shade, was developed here into a powerful device to create visual intensity and to differentiate each dwelling.
Other residential commissions followed, including those in Evry-Courcouronnes (1982-5) and at 44 Rue de Menilmontant (1983-6), Paris, in which his critical approach to history finds a practical and original echo. In the late 1980s he began receiving major public commissions (e.g. Amiens, additions to Universite de Picardie, 1993; Paris, redevelopment of the Charlety Stadium, first phase completed 1994), which he co-signed with his son Bruno Gaudin.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.