Dominikus Böhm (October 23rd 1880 – August 6th 1955) was a German architect well known for his expressionist church buildings. He was mainly active in Cologne, the Ruhr area, Swabia, and Hesse.
Böhm was born in Jettingen as the youngest of six children to builder and mayor Alois Böhm and his wife Katharina (née Hofmiller). He studied at the Augsburg University of Applied Sciences where he graduated in 1900. Later he became a teacher at the Hochschule für Gestaltung Offenbach (1908-1926). He also attended lectures by Theodor Fischer at the University of Stuttgart. He collaborated with Martin Weber and Rudolf Schwarz, designing and constructing churches.
In 1926, Böhm became professor for Christian Art at the Kölner Werkschulen in Cologne. During World War II he went into semi-retirement. After the war, he retook his position as professor in Cologne, and constructed eight new churches in the massively damaged city. He was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit in 1950, and the Order of St. Sylvester in 1952. Böhm died in Cologne, where he was buried on August 10, 1955.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.