Ludovico Quaroni was an Italian Urbanist, Architect, Essayist, and Professor. He had deeply debated, in many publications and through teaching, the major problems of architecture and urbanism of his time, subjecting them to severe and continuous critical revision. He studied at the University of Rome, a student of Enrico Del Debbio and Marcello Piacentini, where he gained his degree on 1934. With Francesco Fariello and Saverio Muratori participated to many national and international competitions as Rome Auditorium on 1935, Aprilia planning on 1936, and with Muratori the Congress Palace and the Imperial Square at E42 in Rome on 1938.
During the WWII was five years prisoner in India. A life mark. On 1946 came back in Italy and became join the APAO, Association for Organic Architecture, founded by Bruno Zevi. With Fariello e Mario Ridolfi participated at the competition design of Termini Train Station in Rome on 1947, in the same year with Ridolfi designed the social housing INA-Casa in Tiburtino, Rome; architecture that characterized the Italian Modern Movement with regional and vernacular aspects.
From 1947 to 1951 is vice-president of National Institute of Urbanism in Italy, and contribute to various urban planning like Ivrea (1952), Rome (1954), Ravenna (1956-57), Cortona (1957), Bari (1965), and the Barene, a a neighborhood of San Giuliano in Mestre (1960).
From 1951 to 1954 he collaborated with Friedrich G. Friedmann in order to create the UNRRA-Casas in Matera with La Martella village on 1951. Project promoted by Adriano Olivetti, an Italian engineer, politician, and industrial istinterested on collaborative architecture activities.
Ludovico Quaroni, as a professor, taught in Naples (1951-55), Florence (1957-64), and Rome (1965-1981) where he teaches to different architects generations such as Massimiliano Fuksas.
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.