Details

Keywords Change this

Modernism, Steelframe

Project timeline

1929 – 1932

Type

Office

Location Change this

Reichpietschufer 60
10785 Berlin
Germany

Current state

Renovated

Also known as Change this

Shell Haus

Architect Change this

Client Change this

Shell Oil

__

Article last edited by archibald on
March 22nd, 2011

Shell House Change this

Berlin, Germany
by Emil Fahrenkamp Change this
1 of 4

Description Change this

The Shell House is one of the most eminent industrial buildings of the Weimar Republic and one of its first steel-framed constructions. It stands overlooking the Landwehrkanal in the Tiergarten district of Berlin. Designed by Emil Fahrenkamp in 1929, it was commissioned by the oil company Shell and functioned as its headquarters until the beginning of WWII.

The building which was completed in 1932, was immediately known for its modernist design and its striking wave-like façade. In 1958 the Shell house became a protected monument. Between 1965 and 1967, the site was extended northwards with two similarly steel-framed buildings designed by the German architect Paul Baumgarten. Between 1997 and 2000, the Shell House was renovated in its entirety.

Comments