Details

Keywords Change this

Add this

Project timeline

1980 – 1980

Type

Park & Garden

Location Change this

1300 Pennsylvania Ave.
20221 Washington DC
USA

Current state

Original

Architect Change this

Team

George Patton (landscape)

__

Article last edited by ludmilla on
March 05th, 2011

Freedom Plaza Change this

Washington DC, USA
by Denise Scott Brown Change this
1 of 4

Description Change this

Freedom Plaza, originally known as Western Plaza, is an open plaza in Northwest Washington, D.C. adjacent to Pershing Park. Freedom Plaza and Pershing Park were part of a design competition won by M. Paul Friedberg (Pershing Park) and Venturi, Rausch and Scott Brown with George Patton landscape architect (Freedom Plaza). These new public spaces were part of The Pennsylvania Avenue Development Corporation’s (PADC) plan to transform Pennsylvania Avenue into a ceremonial route connecting the US Capitol to the White House. Designed in 1980, the plaza is mostly composed of stone, inlaid with a depiction of parts of the L'Enfant plan for Washington. Most of the plaza is raised above street level.

Named in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. and opened in 1980, this modernist plaza set on a raised terrace platform and separated from the surrounding streets by a series of steps, is a partially realized design because of concerns expressed by chairman of the Fine Arts Commission, J. Carter Brown. Composed of simple elements, the pavement consists of a large 1887 map of Pierre L’Enfant’s federal city delineated in black granite and white marble, grass panels representing the Mall and the Ellipse, and bronze markers denoting the Capitol and the White House. (The original design scheme proposed large maquettes of the White House and Capitol buildings, two tall sculptural pylons which would frame the Treasury Building linking the plaza to the city and a multipart sculpture by Richard Serra.) Historic quotations are incised on the plaza floor and terrace walls. The western end of the plaza contains a large fountain, while the eastern end contains an equestrian statue of Kazimierz Pułaski.

This project along with Welcome Park and Franklin Court, in Philadelphia, are unique interpretive designs by Venturi and Scott Brown for reclaiming urban spaces and transforming them into urban plazas.

Comments

Register to join to conversation.