Jose Luis Fernandez del Amo was a Spanish architect, humanist and critic. His architectural work began in 1942, when he joined the General Directorate of Devastated Regions and developed works for the reconstruction of Spanish provinces of Aragon, Jaen and Granada.
From 1947 to 1968 he entered the National Colonization Institute. In this time he developed more than twenty villages, some of which are among the key works of contemporary Spanish architecture. In this villages simple resources and austere solutions are combined with a technical finesse, obtaining great expressiveness thanks to compositional elements. Between 1952 and 1957 he directed the Spanish Museum of Contemporary Art, contributing decisively as an ideologist. During his tenure he promoted Spanish emerging vanguard: Chillida, Lucio Munoz, Zabaleta, Saura. He was also a professor at the School of Architecture in Madrid and a full-time academic at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando.
Colonization Villages are cataloged by DOCOMOMO-Iberico and includeSan Isidro de Albatera (1953, Alicante), Villalba de Calatrava (1955, Ciudad Real), Vegaviana (1956, Caceres), El Realengo (1957, district of Crevillente, Alicante), Canada de Agra (1962, district of Hellin, Albacete), La Vereda (1963, Penaflor district, Seville) and Miraelrio (1964, district of Vilches, Jaen).
All our texts and many of our images appear under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA). All our content is written and edited by our community.