Search results for keyword foma

1 | 2

Lingotto is a district of Turin, Italy, and the location of the Lingotto building in Via Nizza. This building once housed an automobile factory built by Fiat. Construction started in 1916 and the building opened in 1923. The design by young architect Matté Trucco was unusual in that it had five..

Add to a collection

Andrew Melville Hall

St Andrews, United Kingdom
by James Stirling

Andrew Melville Hall is a student hall of residence of the University of St Andrews located in St Andrews, Scotland. It was built in 1967 in the brutalist style, and it accommodates approximately 250 students.
[h]History[/h]
Designed in the New Brutalist style by the renowned architect James..

Add to a collection

The ASB Bank Building in Napier, New Zealand was designed in 1933 and features a maori motif in the stripped classical art deco structure.

[h]History[/h]
In 1931 the Hawkes Bay region of New Zealand where Napier is located experienced a major earthquake followed by fires which destroyed the..

Add to a collection

The National Tobacco Company Building was designed by J.A. Louis Hay after the 1931 earthquake that destroyed Napier. The client was a German tobacco tycoon, Gerhard Husheer who had founded his company in 1922. Despite the quick and economical rebuilding that took over Napier, Husheer spared no..

Add to a collection

Skála Metró

Budapest, Hungary
by György Kővári

Skála Metró is part of a chain of shopping centres, it was designed by György Kővári and built between 1976 to 1984. It was considered to be an exclusive shopping destination during communist times and became an important infrastructure for the wholesale and retail.

Skála chain was established..

Add to a collection

House of the Century

Brazoria, Texas, USA
by Ant Farm

“Still ahead of its time, even after twenty years,” says architect Doug Michels about Ant Farm’s futuristic House of the Century, designed and built in 1972. The colony of anti-establishment architects (of whom Michels was one) christened themselves Ant Farm in honor of the toy ant colonies..

Add to a collection

House Of Book Lovers

Budapest, Hungary
by Farkas Molnár

The House Of Book Lovers is located near the houses on Cserje street also designed by Farkas Molnár. This house was designed by Molnár in cooperation with Ferenc Popper in 1931-1932 for Dr. Ernő György.

The large villa sits near to the street-front fencing, and its closed entrance is only..

Add to a collection

Tricorn Centre

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
by Rodney Gordon

The Tricorn Centre was a Brutalist shopping, nightclub and car park complex in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England. It was designed by Owen Luder and Rodney Gordon and took its name from the site's shape which from the air resembled a Tricorne hat. Constructed in the mid-1960s, it was demolished in..

Add to a collection

This monument commemorates the Battle of Dražgoše, where Partisans fought a snowy winter against Germans, while also protecting local peasants from deportation. It was built in 1976, after prolonged plans by TIto to create a memorial to honor the soldiers who fought here and the villagers who..

Add to a collection

Continental Hotel

Constanta, Romania
by Harry Goldstein

Between 1918 and 1939 was planned the construction of the Continental hotel, which subsequently shall accommodate hundreds of tourists coming to Constanta. The Continental Hotel consisted of two unified buildings, the old massive building, and a block building on Tomis Boulevard. This last..

Add to a collection

Anghel Saligny Silos

Constanta, Romania
by Anghel Saligny, ...

The Anghel Saligny silos are an ensemble of historical monuments located on the territory of Constanta. The silos built between 1904-1909 and 1912-1915 by engineer Anghel Saligny are located at berths 17-18 of the Constanta Port, 45 meters high and 30,000 tons each.

The silos were designed by..

Add to a collection

Tinka B. Prekovič

Ljubljana, Slovenia
born 1975, Ljubljana

Tinka B. Prekovič is an architect, writer and editor from Slovenia. Her interests include architecture, art and curiosities. She designed a post stamp at 21, invented an utopian infrastructural object called Fatamorgana for her diploma work and received various prizes and awards for her work...

Add to a collection

Coventry Cathedral

Coventry, United Kingdom
by Sir Basil Spence

Sir Basil Spence is famous for his striking modern design for the rebuilt Coventry Cathedral. The original medieval cathedral was destroyed by the Luftwaffe on 14 November 1940 in an air raid code-named “Moonlight Sonata”. The attack targeted Coventry's industry, but it was clear that collateral..

Add to a collection

Castle Market was built in stages between 1959 and 1965, and was designed by J. L. Womersley and Andrew Darbyshire, who also designed Park Hill flats. It was named after Sheffield Castle, which was almost entirely demolished in 1648 but the remains of the 13th century foundations were still..

Add to a collection

Lee Circle Car Park

Leicester, United Kingdom
by Unknown

This is a historically important structure and symbolic of changes in British society since it was built. Today, Lee Circle car park appears totally unremarkable to the casual observer, but the Tesco store and car park that opened there in in 1961 was a pioneering experiment, noteworthy for many..

Add to a collection

The Roger Stevens Lecture Theatre, grade II listed in 2009, is the centrepiece of the complex of buildings designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon between 1958 and 1968 for the Leeds University campus.

From 1960-1970, as the post-war generation grew up, Britain saw a great expansion in..

Add to a collection

102 Petty France

London, United Kingdom
by Sir Basil Spence

102 Petty France is an office block on Petty France in Westminster, London, overlooking St. James's Park, which was designed by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners, with Sir Basil Spence, and completed in 1976. It now houses the Ministry of Justice and Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service.

The..

Add to a collection

Lighthouse of Ponta dos Rosais

São Jorge, Azores, Portugal
by João Lobo Fialho

The Ponta dos Rosais Lighthouse is located along the 200 m cliffs of Ponta dos Rosais in the extreme northwest of the island of São Jorge, the Archipelago of the Azores, Portugal. It includes the main tower and several living quarters and auxiliary buildings constructed for the maintenance and..

Add to a collection

After collaborating on several cemetery projects with the municipal workshop, Djorbenadze received his first independent commission for a cemetery in Mukhatgverdi, a ridge on the outskirts of Tbilisi overlooking the ancient capital of Mtskheta. The commission was part of both a practical mandate..

Add to a collection

1 | 2