Search results for keyword Forgotten Masterpieces
The private house of architect and painter Konstantin Melnikov in Krivoarbatsky Lane in Moscow is the finest existing specimen of Melnikov's work. It was completed in 1927-1929 and consists of two intersecting cylindrical towers decorated with a pattern of hexagonal windows.
His flow of..
The Kugelhaus was a ball-shaped house building in Dresden on the Exhibition Grounds between exhibition palace and Hercules Avenue. At that time it was Stübelplatz by Peter Birch Wood (1876-1961) built in 1928.
It housed showrooms, and a catering operation and is considered to be the first..
The original structure of 1899 was a wooden building in the Gothic style. It was burned during World War II. The present church, designed by Tange Kenzo, dates from 1964. Kenzo Tange won the competition for the reconstruction of this church in 1961. It was built with assistance from Wilhelm..Add to a collection
Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats in North Kensington, London, W10. It was designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, after a commission from the Greater London Council in 1966, and completed in 1972. It is a Grade II listed building and is 98 metres tall.
The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption, also known locally as Saint Mary's Cathedral, is the principal church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco, California.
The cathedral is located in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood of San Francisco and replaced two previous churches..
This factory is one of the earliest examples of Modernist architecture in St. Petersburg and had a a heavy influence on architecture in Soviet Russia. It was constructed between 1925 and 1927 by the German architect Erich Mendelsohn. after ongoing controversy and discussions with his Leningrad..Add to a collection
The complex of the Trade Union School built by the Hannes Meyer and Hans Wittwer from 1928 to 1930 is the Bauhaus' largest building project apart from the Bauhaus in Dessau and one of its most eminent buildings. Hannes Meyer received the commisssion for the project shortly after his nomination as..Add to a collection
The Yale Art and Architecture Building (the "A&A Building") is one of the earliest and best known examples of Brutalist architecture in the United States. The building still houses Yale University's School of Architecture (it once also housed the School of Art) and is located in New Haven,..Add to a collection
Alvar Aalto took part in the invitational competition in 1959 with the entry number '17991'. He won the competition and went on to rework the plan at the city building committee's behest from 1961 right up to his death.
From 1970 to 1976 his German collaborator was Bauasessor Horst Loy; the..
The Shukhov radio tower also known as the Shabolovka tower, is a broadcasting tower in Moscow designed by Vladimir Shukhov.
The 160-metre-high free-standing steel structure was built in the period 1920–1922, during the Russian Civil War. It is a hyperboloid structure (hyperbolic steel..
The Dom Sovietov (House of Soviets) is situated in the centre of Kaliningrad on the historical site of the Prussian Königsberg Castle which was severely damaged by allied bombing in WW II. The remains were blown up between 1964 and 1968 by order of the executive committee of the communist party..Add to a collection
In 2007 staff members of the Russian Avant-Garde Fund discovered in a Moscow archive previously unknown blueprints for the printing plant of JSC Ogonek authored by El Lissitzky, a luminary of 20th-century art.
The grandiose plan, reminiscent of Lissitzky’s famous “horizontal skyscraper”..
The Umlauftank 2 is a research complex which was built by the Research Institute for Water and Naval Architecture (Versuchsanstalt für Wasser- und Schiffsbau - VWS) at the Technical University of Berlin. Research facilities for the institute have existed since the early 1900s. They were..Add to a collection
This housing complex is 400 meters long and has 16 stories. The construction was completed in 1986, although first construction plans existed as early as 1970. The planning was initially carried out under the direction of Leonid Cherikover who also constructed the renowned Dynamo Stadium Moscow...Add to a collection
The music studio on a former NATO base in Germany is one of several architectural projects which were initiated to convert the former rocket station into a cultural venue. The first plans for the studio by the Austrian born architect Raimund Abraham were already conceived in the 1990s. The..Add to a collection
It looks like a huge planetary gearset from the sky but when it was built in 1985 Turkish spies thought it was another dangerous military object built to support the Cold War effort. Druzhba was designed by a Russian architect, Igor Vasilievsky with the help of Nodar Kancheli. Kancheli is more..Add to a collection
Construction of Fuji Television's new headquarters - the Fuji Television Building - in the waterfront area of Tokyo's Minato district has been completed, and broadcasting from the new location commenced at the end of March 1997. The new building - designed by Kenzo Tange Associates - adds to the..Add to a collection
Villa Girasole (in italian sunflower) is a rotational house which progressively rotates following the sun's movement during the day.
Villa Girasole is an extraordinary work built during the golden ages of functionalist architecture. It lies at Marcellise, in the region of Verona, Italy, and..
George Chakhava was the Minister of highway construction in the 1970s. Therefore, he was both the client and the lead architect of this project. There is a rumor that the design was copied from a proposal by the Czech architect Karel Prager for an unrealised building in Prague.
In 2007 the..
In 1959 a contest was held for a project at the invitation of the Headquarters of the Bank of London and South America. The land was located on a street corner in downtown Buenos Aires, where the financial activity was booming. The winning design was submitted by the team Clorindo Testa,..Add to a collection