Keywords Change this
1929 – 1930
Location Change this
Architect Change this
Article last edited by johnx on
October 12th, 2010
Laubenganghäuser Dessau Change this
Description Change this
The five houses were built on behalf of the "Spar- und Baugenossenschaft Dessau" (Dessau Savings and Building Society) by the Bauhaus building department, directed from 1927 by Hannes Meyer, who later became director of the Bauhaus. They are therfore “real” Bauhaus buildings, since they originated in the Bauhaus department of architecture as opposed to the Bauhaus Building, the Masters’ Houses and the Törten Estate, which were designed in Gropius’s architectural office.
The balcony access is a traditional type of access for flats, whereby the entrance doors of a number of small units face onto a common, open gangway that leads to a staircase. The history of balcony access houses reaches back to the Middle Ages; they experienced a renaissance in the social housing of the 1920s.
The five apartment houses, with a total of 90 flats, were part of a mixed development conceived by Hannes Meyer for the extension of Törten, whereby a one-storey terrace would be built between three- and four-storey balcony access houses. The partly-realised development bordered on the estate of suburban terraced housing designed by Walter Gropius between 1926 and 1928, which consisted of 314 residential units and the Konsum Building, and which was already finished.