In the early 1900s, Bicocca, a suburb of Milan, develops around the Pirelli factories. In 1955, this industrialization has grown to a massive scale, and the tyre manufacturing company appoints architect Giulio Minoletti to design a canteen for its 1600 employees. Following a study tour in the..Add to a collection
The Cormôr Park in the northeastern city of Udine was completed in a period of renewed optimism for Italian architecture. The area had been previously reduced to an illegal dumping site and its recovery was led by the Friuli architect Roberto Pirzio-Biroli who, through the study of historical..Add to a collection
In the heart of Sicily, between Caltagirone and San Michele di Ganzaria, a 35 kilometer stretch of an old decommissioned railway is redesigned into linear cycle park. Thus turning the ruin into a light infrastructure for leisure, tourism and the new organic agriculture. The design is by Marco..Add to a collection
The Autogrill is a true icon of the economic rebirth of Italy Its modernity and elegance as a destination along the journey lends itself as both visually pleasant and also a representation of speed and growth of Italy in the 60s, becoming the manifestation of new ideas idea driving the nascent..Add to a collection
In 1955, the International Olympic Committee selects Rome as the seat of the XVII Olympiad. It is an important opportunity for Italy, and one of redemption for the Capital. For the games, it becomes clear that the city lacks the adequate infrastructure to host the event but the nation’s building..Add to a collection
With this steel barrel factory/”culture factory” conversion, Lina Bo Bardi revolutionized São Paulo’s attitude to its obsolete industrial estates.
Between 1977 and 1986, the old brick sheds were transformed into exhibition spaces, a library and a series of workshops. The SESC Pompéia also..
The Barcelona Pavilion, also known as the German Pavilion, designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, as the German national Pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona International Exhibition. The Pavilion was conceived to accommodate the official reception presided over by King Alphonso XIII of Spain along..Add to a collection
The Gallery's main building was built in 1953 and was among the very first designed by Louis Kahn, who taught architecture at Yale. A complete renovation, which returned many spaces to Kahn's original vision, was completed in December 2006 by Polshek Partnership Architects. The older Tuscan..Add to a collection