Details

Keywords Change this

Office Building, Stalinist Architecture

Project timeline

1936 – 1941

Type

Civic

Location Change this

Moskovsky Prospekt, 212
Saint Petersburg
Russia

Architect Change this

House of Soviets (Saint Petersburg) Change this

Saint Petersburg, Russia
by Noi Trotsky Change this
1 of 1

Description Change this

The House of Soviets (Russian: Дом Советов, Dom Sovetov) is the office building built in Stalinist style in the late 1930's in Saint Petersburg (then Leningrad). It is located in the Moskovsky District of Saint Petersburg.

According to Soviet projects, the House of Soviets was planned to host the administration of Soviet Leningrad government. The location was chosen on undeveloped south outskirts of the city away from the downtown area which was prone to frequent floods.
The construction was completed just before the Nazi invasion of Soviet Union at the beginning of World War II, and the building was never used for the intended purpose. In 1941, it was fortified and used as a local command post for Soviet Red Army during the Siege of Leningrad. Surviving reminders of that stronghold are small bunkers built from a reinforced concrete which still stand at several corners of the House of Soviets. Later, the building housed the Soviet research institute which focused on the design of electronic components for military objects. Among the notable engineers who worked there are two post-World War II defectors from the US, Alfred Sarant and Joel Barr. Currently, the office space in the building is rented out to various businesses.
A square in front of the House of Soviets is called Moscow Square (Moskovskaya Ploshad).

During a construction of the subway station Moskovskaya in 1970, the square was remodelled and upgraded with a massive monument to Vladimir Lenin designed by Mikhail Anikushin. In 2006, several fountain features were added at the square.

Comments

Register to join to conversation.