Keywords Change this

Socialist Modernism, Socialist Brutalism, Churches, Concrete, Brutalism, Religious

Project timeline

1976 – 1979



Location Change this

Táltos utca 16.
1123 Budapest

Current state

Altered (extensions to the original)

Also known as Change this

Táltos Street Church

Architect Change this


Article last edited by Bostjan on
March 09th, 2018

Holy Cross Church Change this

Original state of the facade

1 of 4

Description Change this

The church with the adjoining parish offices was erected on a rectangular plot. The main façade was originally dominated by the high-pitched pediment constructed of industrial glass on metal frames. The walls were erected using concrete slabs left raw, without insulation or plasterwork. The interior was covered by a lightweight metal spatial grid structure, on which the architect hanged his own angel sculptures. The original furniture was also designed by Szabó.

In 2001 architect Péter Pottyondy radically redisegned and reconstructed the church, covering the walls with red brick and changing the industrial glass to a curtain wall. Some elements of the interior, such as the hanging angel sculptures, were also removed and are currently stored in the Christian Museum in Esztergom.


Register to join to conversation.