Details

Keywords Change this

Italian Fascist Architecture

Project timeline

1930 – 1935

Type

Office

Location Change this

Harnot Avenue
Asmara
Eritrea

Architect Change this

Add this

Governor's Palace Change this

Asmara, Eritrea
Change this
1 of 1

Description Change this

The Governor's Palace is the city hall of Asmara. It was built during the colonial period in the city centre, in an Italian art-deco style. It was built in 1897 by Ferdinando Martini, the first Italian governor of Eritrea (now it is the Asmara President's Office). The Gibi, as it is known, was converted into a Museum of Asmara during the Ethiopian administration, when the Governor's Palace was switched to the present building. The current city hall was built during the 1930s in typical Fascist style (called Littorio), with a central tower at the entrance adorned with "Fasci". The city hall appeared on Asmara's last revenue stamps which were issued in 1960.

Sources

  • Wikipedia

Comments

Register to join to conversation.