Details

Keywords Change this

Memorial

Project timeline

? – 1932

Type

Monument & Memorial

Location Change this

Verdun
France

Also known as Change this

Verdun Memorial

Architect Change this

__

Article last edited by archibald on
August 24th, 2011

Douaumont Ossuary Change this

Verdun, France
by Max Edrei, Jacques Hardy, ... Change this
1 of 1

Description Change this

During the 300 days of the 1916 Battle of Verdun approximately 230,000 soldiers died. The Douaumont Ossuary was built as a memorial to the battle and contains the remains of at least 130,000 of those who died in Verdun. Through small outside windowns, the skeletal remains can be seen filling the alcoves at the lower edge of the building.

Inaugurated in 1932, the architects of the ossuary were Léon Azéma, Max Edrei and Jacques Hardy, with stained glass windows designed by Georges Desvallières. The tower is 46 m. high, and contains a bronze death-bell, weighing over 2 tons, called Bourdon de la Victoire, which is sounded at official ceremonies. At the top of the tower a rotating red and white "lantern of the dead" shines on the battlefields at night. The cloister is 137 m. long and contains 42 inside alcoves. On the first floor is the war-museum with remains of the destroyed villages, 3D-photos, and weapons.

Comments

Register to join to conversation.