Details

Keywords Change this

House Of The Architect

Project timeline

1951 – 1952

Type

Private House

Location Change this

West Road 628
06840 New Canaan
USA

Current state

Altered (extensions to the original)

Architect Change this

__

Article last edited by AleeshaCallahan on
January 07th, 2013

Breuer House II, New Canaan Change this

New Canaan, USA
by Marcel Breuer Change this

Original design by Breuer

1 of 6

Description Change this

Breuer House II is the second house (hence the name) in New Canaan, which was designed by the Hungarian born architect Marcel Breuer. It also became his own residence for him and his family, after they emigrated from Europe to the United States. Marcel Breuer and his wife acquired the property in 1951 and he was able to complete the main construction by the end of the same year. The gardens and terraces were finished one year later.

Unlike his first house on Sunset Hill Road, Breuer House I, New Canaan, this house was designed to be a flat-roofed, one-story structure clad in fieldstone veneer and glass with a flat-roofed carport. Stone was integrated as a primary building material and is particular to the region. The house was designed around a U-shaped plan enclosing a courtyard with a flagstone terrace. A key feature of this house was the concentration on public living spaces. The master bedroom and a bathroom were positioned at one end. The children's room, guest rooms and an additional bathroom were at the other, all centrally connected by the kitchen, utility room and heating room. Similarly to Breuer's first house, the interior integrated a neutral scheme with bold splashes of primary colours accompanied by vibrant pieces of artwork.

In 1975 the Breuer's sold the property and it was redesigned and renovated by the new owners. The works were completed between 1975 and 1982. The renovations were then featured in Architectural Record Houses in 1981. As part of the redesign, a new one-story children's wing was added along with a new garage, swimming pool, underground poolhouse and finally a greenhouse.

The property has changed hands many times since 1990, finally being purchased to save the house from demolition. The current owners, Robert Bishop, are removing the additions made between 1975 and 1982. A freestanding structure is being designed and built by Toshiko Mori. The latest works will join to the original house through the implementation of a glass-enclosed staircase.

This house was considered to be very contemporary when it was originally built, it was subsequently published in several publications including the New York Times and Holiday Magazine.

Comments

Register to join to conversation.