Keywords Change this
1967 – 1978
Education & Research
Location Change thisPotsdamer Straße 33
Also known as Change this
Haus Potsdamer Straße, Staatsbibliothek
Architect Change this
Article last edited by theDani on
April 10th, 2017
Berlin State Library Change this
Description Change this
This is the newer building in the Kulturforum on Potsdamer Straße in West Berlin, designed by Hans Scharoun with substantial participation by Edgar Wisniewski. Construction began in 1967 to house those parts of the library's evacuated holdings from the western Allied occupation zones at the end of World War II. After 11 years of construction, it was finally dedicated by Federal President Walter Scheel and opened to the public in 1978.
It was renovated from 1999-2001. The building is currently being further redeveloped into a modern research library as a companion to the Haus Unter den Linden and will house the collection from 1946 onwards.